A reminder that tomorrow is the last day that our HQ office is open until January, as we give staff a much deserved break. Please enjoy the holidays safely with family and friends, and thank you for all you do for democracy! If there *is* an emergency, DO email email@example.com and we will be in touch immediately.
With that said, we have every intention of hitting the ground running on January 4th and doing all we can to support our local candidates in the coming cycle! In addition to working with you to recruit Democrats to run in thousands of down-ballot races in 2021 – an unprecedented opportunity to continue to “build the bench” statewide – remember that Senator Patty Murray and all seven of our Democratic Members of Congress will be up for re-election in 2022, plus legislators in NEWLY DRAWN districts! Both Rise and Run and Rise and Organize will kick off those efforts in January!
Additionally, our priories will include redistricting, launching special rural engagement projects statewide, and continuing a comprehensive diversity and inclusion program to become an anti-racist party – the first from a Democratic State Party with such a significant investment.
I’m especially proud that in the last two years we:
- Did the work and made the switch from a caucus to a primary in the presidential cycle - enabling 1.7M voters to participate!
- Quickly pivoted to a strong virtual coordinated campaign program in a pandemic and made a record breaking 3.5M calls, sent 600K+ texts, and engaged over 14,000 vols in our 2020 Coordinated Campaign.
- Elected the most diverse state legislature ever in 2018, and then shattered that ceiling AGAIN in 2020 with five new Black legislators in 2020, all while re-electing folks like Jay Inslee and Kim Schrier and electing Marilyn Strickland in CD10, our first Black and Korean-American Congresswoman for WA plus taking back the Treasurer’s seat with Mike Pelliciotti.
- Built an entire (and successful) infrastructure for virtual caucuses and a virtual statewide convention (with debate!)
- Built our dedicated constituency organizing team for work in the Black, Latinx, Native American and AAPI communities while increasing voter turnout in EACH of those communities.
And so much more.
Attached is the “wrap up” report from our 2020 Coordinated Campaign - please take a moment to read it, as we’ve come a LONG way from 2017, and our two seat majority in the State House, and one seat minority in the State Senate…the “blue swing” graphic on page 3 should especially draw your attention, as it’s pretty darn amazing, Thanks to you. And, according to our friends at the Rural Democracy Institute, we’ve incredible gains…more on that in 2021 too! Feel free to email with any questions.
Also, here is a link to the report should the attachment not come through for you: https://www.wa-democrats.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/WA-DEMS-2020-COORDINATED-CAMPAIGN-WRAP-UP.pdf
You allowed us to rise above each challenge this year threw at us without compromising our goals, our standards, or our values. We could have never done this without you – and hope you will continue helping us earn Democratic victories in 2021 and beyond. Very best wishes for the happiest, healthiest holiday season possible and I so look forward to speaking with you in the new year.
-- 2020 COORDINATED CAMPAIGN WRAP UP - FINAL.pdf
Tina Podlodowski, Chair, Washington State Democrats